Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mediocrity

As a teacher I see much mediocrity, some real excellence, and some real failure. This is a blog about coffee, however, not education.

I don't drink caffeinated beverages any more due to a heart-rhythm problem. I do, none-the-less, still like a bracing cup of decaf, especially when I am reading/studying. As you well know, prices are going up, up, up. Even coffee prices! The shop where I purchase my decaf coffee beans is raising the price. From $5.00 per half pound to $6.50. That is a 30% rise in the cost of coffee beans in a single movement. As I drink one of the last few cups from a $5.00 bag, I ponder, "Should I switch to Folgers?"

Please understand, coffee isn't just a beverage, it represents higher values...the search for excellence and the rejection of mediocrity.

We use filtered water in which to brew the coffee. We use a Chemex coffee maker. We also have a home coffee-bean roaster and have purchased green coffee beans with which to brew our coffee. You get the picture.

James 1:17 says, Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Much of my life has been replete with the tacit acceptance of mediocrity. With the Lord's help I hope to strive for excellence in serving Him and His kingdom. Let's talk about it over an excellent cup of coffee (I'll take decaf).

No comments: