Monday, April 13, 2009

Gold and Silver: An Admonition (to myself)

I have "Our Daily Bread" as my homepage so that I can do their 'Bible In One Year' program. This morning, for the NT portion, the Scripture reading was Luke 12. Luke 12:13-21 caught my attention:

Luk 12:13 And one of the company said to him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.
Luk 12:14 And he said to him, Man, who made me a judge, or a divider over you?
Luk 12:15 And he said to them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
Luk 12:16 And he spoke a parable to them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
Luk 12:17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to deposit my fruits?
Luk 12:18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I deposit all my fruits and my goods.
Luk 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast abundance of goods laid up for many years; take thy ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
Luk 12:20 But God said to him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be which thou hast provided?
Luk 12:21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich towards God.

The reason it caught my attention is because I have been reading a book titled, Guide to Investing in Gold and Silver, by Michael Maloney. I am interested in investing in gold and silver (Without the means to do so in a significant way!) and have found the book an excellent primer on the precious metals market. I also am in the midst of teaching an Investment Analysis course and thought to implement some of the material this semester.

It's clear to me that I can sometimes do the right thing for wrong reasons. It's certainly not wrong to plan or prepare for the future. God wants us to provide for and take care of our families, our brothers/sisters in Christ, and others less fortunate that we come in contact with. But, I want to be careful not to allow my possessions to take hold of me:

Deu 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he swore to thy fathers, as it is this day.
Deu 8:19 And it shall be, if thou shalt at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you. Thank you Lord for this admonition to me!

No comments: