Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Doctor's Visit

8:37am
After coming home from a doctor's visit yesterday (routine once-a-year), I commented to my wife that I was the youngest person in the office for a while. There was one young lady with two children who left before I got called back to see my doctor. I am 54 years old and felt like a spring chicken compared to most of the folks there. The conversations were interesting to hear, besides the one older gentleman whose snoring would send a Grizzly back up the mountainside. In retrospect, it was, quite frankly, Medicare brinkmanship.

Person A: "How are you doing?"
Person B: "Just glad to be able to get up and eat my breakfast!"
Person A: "I was happy to get up with my walker this morning. Now I'm down to using my cane."
Person B: "It's just one day at a time for me. Some good and some bad."
Person A: "At least you're not in a nursing home like my wife is."

The next conversation centered around who's getting the bigger shaft when it comes to medication.

Scripture says, "Where your heart is, there your treasure will be."

The oneupmanship really didn't bother me. You see, whenever we see someone doing something stupid we need to ask the question, "What am I doing that's even more stupid than what they're doing?" NOT "Why are they doing something stupid?"

The things that regularly come out of our mouths generally are the things that has got the attention of our heart (because those are the things that we are engaging in or thinking about). Am I ensnared by the things of the world to the point whereby they are treasured in my heart and consequently come out in my speech? Brother Andy taught us on Sunday that "...friendship with the world is enmity (to be an enemy of) with God" (James 4:4). Am I a friend of the world or a friend of God?

No comments: